AMTA INDIANA CHAPTER POLICY AND PROCEDURE FOR DELEGATES AND ALTERNATE DELEGATES
● Based on availability of funds, the delegates will be allocated the following expenses to attend National convention for the House of Delegates meetings. This will not include pre or post Convention.
● To include the following expenses with receipts to be reimbursed following the National Convention: Travel, Airfare, train, etc., Fee for transportation use to and from travel. i.e. bus, taxi, etc., Personal car use mileage at IRS standard rate (not to exceed reasonable air fare), Hotel accommodations to pay: 2 or more delegates will be allocated 1 room for the same gender, an additional room available if co-ed., Delegates will share rooms with board members whenever possible, d. Meals up to $45.00/day for meals will be allotted for Chapter business. e. Expenses will include travel days to and from meetings
● Will adhere to the volunteer compensation policy and procedures ● If a vacancy in the position of delegate may be established through resignation,
● Disqualification, disablement, or death prior to the regular end of term of office. The alternate receiving the most votes in the election of delegates shall fill a vacancy in the position of delegate and will represent the members by whom they were elected and carries out these responsibilities
● A delegate represents the members by whom they were elected and carries out the responsibilities:
● Through the chapter membership annual meeting and other opportunities of interaction with the membership, the delegate shall initiate member involvement in discussion and hear opinions on matters coming before the House of Delegates;
● To study materials and otherwise prepare for the House of Delegates meeting;
● To attend and participate in the House of Delegates meeting and to vote in an informed manner; and,
● To be available to report on their voting record and participation in the House of Delegates meeting.
● In a joint effort with the other Chapter Delegates, will prepare a report for the members for the following Chapter meeting.
● In a joint effort with other Chapter Delegates, will submit a written report for the Chapter.
● Delegates will be accountable to the members by virtue of election.
● Failure of an elected delegate to attend designated meetings will disqualify them for State assisted funds and all previously paid monies will have to be returned to the Chapter. (Excluding emergency)
● Delegates must attend all State Business Meetings.
● Delegates are eligible to purchase promotional merchandise at cost.
● Delegate must be active on a chapter committee.
Amended and Approved 11/6/2009
The name of this organization shall be AMERICAN MASSAGE THERAPY ASSOCIATION -
AMERICAN MASSAGE THERAPY ASSOCIATION - INDIANA CHAPTER shall be referred to
hereafter in all articles amended and adopted as the “CHAPTER”.
The Indiana Chapter of the American Massage Therapy Association shall be governed by the
American Massage Therapy Association Bylaws Article XVI with the following additions.
SECTION 1 ELECTION
A. ELECTED OFFICES
1. This Chapter shall have the following Officers: President, 1st Vice President, 2nd
Vice-President, 3rd Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Immediate Past President.
2. This chapter will also elect Chapter Delegates and the sufficient number of alternates to the
House of Delegates.
a. The number of alternates will be the same number as the delegates and will be selected by
the number of votes received.
b. The Chapter will elect Chapter Delegates with a sufficient number of Alternates. The number
of Alternates will be the same number as Delegates. At least one member of the Board of
Directors selected by Board consensus will always run for an elected delegate position. In the
event that a board member is elected as a delegate, that board member has the option of
declining his/her position to become an alternate.
3. A delegate will represent the members by whom they were elected and carry out his or her
responsibilities on matters before the House of Delegates.
SECTION 2 QUALIFICATIONS
A. A Candidate for Chapter Officer shall:
1. Submit a resume to the Nominating Committee prior to elections.
2. Satisfy one of the following:
1. Hold a Professional Membership classification in good standing;
2. For the office of Chapter President the candidate shall hold Professional Membership
classification for three (3) years, immediately prior to the candidacy and shall have served as an
elected Chapter Officer for one (1) full year during one of the three (3) years immediately
preceding candidacy, or be a Past President of this Chapter with one year lapsed term of Office;
3. President succeeds to office of Immediate Past President via completion of term as
B. A Candidate for Delegate shall:
1. Submit a resume to the Nominating Committee prior to elections.
2. Be required to be active on a chapter committee.
SECTION 3 AUTHORITY
A. The Chapter Board of Directors and the Delegates authority is conferred by the membership
SECTION 4 ACCOUNTABILITY
1. The Chapter Board of Directors shall operate within the National Bylaws, Chapter Standing
Rules, policies, programs, mission, goals, strategic plan, and Chapter objectives.
2. Treat proprietary and other confidential information in a responsible manner.
3. Act as the representative for their assigned committees.
4. Delegate accountability is to the members by virtue of election.
1. Committee members must be a member in good standing.
2. The individual appointed as a Committee Chair must submit a resume at or before the Annual
meeting to be considered for chair position.
SECTION 2 AUTHORITY
1. The committee chair functions as prescribed by the Board of Directors and has no general
authority to act on behalf of AMTA or the Chapter.
SECTION 3 ACCOUNTABILITY
1. The committee chair is accountable to the Board of Directors by virtue of appointment and
reports to the President or Designated board member.
2. Operate within the National Bylaws, Chapter Standing Rules, policies, programs, mission,
goals, strategic plan, and Chapter objectives.
3. Treat proprietary and other confidential information in a responsible manner.
4. Act as the representative for the committee.
MAKE UP OF BOARD AND DUTIES OF OFFICERS
SECTION 1 MAKE UP OF CHAPTER BOARD
1. The Chapter Board (Board of Directors) will be made of the following officers: President, 1st
Vice-President, 2nd Vice-President, 3rd Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Immediate
SECTION 2 DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. Shall obtain sanction and ratification from the assembly of membership at a regularly
scheduled or a specially called Chapter meeting on controversial policies or on expenditures
major to the Chapter’s ordinary conduction of business. There will be no less than thirty- (30)
day’s notice given of such a meeting.
2. Shall report and bring recommendations to the assembly for action.
3. When possible go to National Conference, Convention, Regional and National Board of
4. The Vice-Presidents will act in the capacity of the President, in numerical order when the
President is unable to be present. The Vice-Presidents are also delegated responsibilities by the
Chapter President at his/her discretion.
ARTICLE VII MEETING/EDUCATION
SECTION 1 ANNUAL MEETING
A. At the annual meeting a discussion with the membership of business that is to be placed
before the next meeting of the House of Delegates:
3. Proposed position statement
SECTION 2 SCHEDULING OF MEETINGS
1. The regular meeting time of the Chapter shall be on the months and dates prescribed by the
Board of Directors and will not to be in conflict with a National Conference or Convention.
2. Members shall not hold a meeting or function on dates that conflict with scheduled Chapter
meetings and functions.
3. The meeting times of the Board of Directors prior to the regular meetings of the chapter shall
be as decided by said Board and their actions reported at the Chapter meeting. The Chapter
shall have at least 14 days notice of a Board meeting unless it is an emergency. If an
emergency meeting is held, the Chapter members shall be notified of why the meeting was
called and the results.
ARTICLE VIII NEWSLETTER
SECTION 1 OFFICIAL CHAPTER PUBLICATIONS
A. There will be at least one (1) newsletter per year and that publication will coincide with the
annual chapter meeting.
ARTICLE IX AMENDMENTS
SECTION 1 AMENDING STANDING RULES
1. Amendments proposed shall be presented in printed form to each member present on the
day of the Chapter meeting.
2. Amendments will be presented to the Chapter by a previously selected Standing Rules
Committee and the standing rules may then be amended or rejected by the chapter by a
two-thirds vote of the Professional Members present.