Code of Ethics
This Code of Ethics is a summary statement of the standards of conduct that define ethical behavior for the massage therapist. Adherence to the Code is a prerequisite for admission to and continued membership in the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA).
AMTA Massage Therapists/Practitioners shall:
- Demonstrate commitment to provide the highest quality massage therapy/bodywork to those who seek their professional service.
- Acknowledge the inherent worth and individuality of each person by not discriminating or behaving in any prejudicial manner with clients and/or colleagues.
- Demonstrate professional excellence through regular self-assessment of strengths, limitations and effectiveness by continued education and training.
- Acknowledge the confidential nature of the professional relationship with clients and respect each clients’ right to privacy within the constraints of the law.
- Project a professional image and uphold the highest standards of professionalism.
- Accept responsibility to do no harm to the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of self, clients, and associates.
- Conduct all business and professional activities within their scope of practice and all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Refrain from engaging in any sexual conduct or sexual activities involving their clients in the course of a massage therapy session.
- Be truthful in advertising and marketing, and refrain from misrepresenting his or her services, charges for services, credentials, training, experience, ability, or results.
- Refrain from using AMTA membership, including the AMTA name, logo or other intellectual property, or the member’s position, in any way that is unauthorized, improper, or misleading.
- Refrain from engaging in any activity which would violate confidentiality commitments and/or proprietary rights of AMTA or any other person or organization.